The main events of the Aussie party season may be over, but we're keeping the spirit alive by taking a look at celebrities who like being the life of the party by providing the night’s tunes. Alexa Chung loves to hit the decks at events (even though she’s claimed to be a ‘fake DJ’) and Elijah Wood has entertained at the after parties for some of his film premieres. Ruby Rose is transitioning her DJ career into that of a full-fledged musician, and Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman’s son Connor is juggling disc jockeying and acting. Click through to see which other celebs have taken a turn on the decks, as well as some of our favourite famous DJs.
There are only three sleeps until New Year’s Eve! Whatever your plans may be for ringing in 2013 — a low key house party, a fancy soiree, camping out all day for a great fireworks-viewing spot — we’ve got a selection of recent celebrity looks to draw inspiration from for the big day and night. From Lara Bingle’s luminous glow to Diane Kruger’s top knot to Cara Delevingne’s sexy, brown smoky eye, click through for their beauty up close, as well as some product recommendations so you can get the look at home.
I’ve had a year-long love affair with bright lipstick but for 2013 I’m looking to switch beauty gears and return the focus to my eyes. As a result I’ve had to go back to basics with looks such as the smouldering and sexy black smoky eye, which I’m trying to perfect in time for New Year’s Eve. The funny thing, though, is that its appeal isn’t in its perfectness but in its slightly unkempt appearance. I’ve been practising a few smoky eyes at night with different products to see what goes the distance so I don’t look too dishevelled when the clock strikes midnight. Click through to see my ultimate combo.
- Mini deodorant: Getting asked if you're dating anyone over and over again at dinner can really make you sweat, so keep a deodorant on hand for when you need a little extra protection.
- Pain reliever: That red wine that you're swilling in order to get through dinner can make your head spin, but an emergency stash of aspirin can help you get back on your feet.
- Hand lotion: Cracked, dry hands are the worst party accessory. Keeping some lotion in your emergency kit will make sure your fingers stay smooth.
- Travel perfume: Some department stores give out free samples of all its fragrances. Just ask a sales assistant for a sample, and you can stash one in your bag for when you need a little lift.
- Travel toothbrush and toothpaste: With all the eating that goes down during the festive season, keeping a toothbrush and toothpaste in your emergency kit is a necessity.
- Makeup stain: A stain like Stila Lip and Cheek Stain ($39) can be used in a bunch of ways, making it the perfect makeup-in-a-pinch product.
- Detergent pen: Spill something on your party dress? Kiss that stain goodbye with that handy detergent pen you have hiding in your purse.
If you want to try a truly sexy hairstyle, there's no better time than New Year's Eve. Waves make the perfect addition to any glitzy outfit, and aside from being soft and gorgeous, they look great on just about everyone. Watch the video now to learn how to create textured, glamorous waves. Talk about ringing in 2013 right.
A high ponytail like Vanessa's already offers plenty of polish, so make sure things aren't too slick. A quick spritz of a texturising spray, like Evo Mister Fantastic Texture Spray ($29.95), offers up great movement and gives your hair some grip. Sweep your hair into a high ponytail with your hands, but don't worry about it being too perfect. Wrap a small piece of hair around your elastic, and finish with a cat eye and a glossy lipstick. Your pony will look party-perfect — miles away from the football field sidelines.